California is not normally associated with mystery. California brings different thoughts: sun, ocean, surfing, Hollywood but nobody is immediately thinking of mystery when they hear the word California. This does not mean that there is nothing mysterious about California. Alabama Hills is one place where mystery and Hollywood converge.
My favorite tourist attractions for Alabama Hills, California
- Make sure you have your camera with you. You will be taking lots of pictures.
- Make sure you have plenty of water bottles with you. It gets very hot and dry, especially in the summer
- Wear some comfortable shoes so that you can do some walking and climbing. Think hiking shoes. Flip-flops are a no no…’cause you might actually get to see some snakes !
1. Experience Old Hollywood Western Movie Locations
Alabama Hills, California is definitely a strange place.
See my photos from Alabama Hills
It’s really interesting how Hollywood is attracted to strange and mysterious places. Oh well…I guess we like mysterious movies, so we get what we like…of course Hollywood has figured that one out. Alabama Hills is indeed a unique place that is perfectly suitable for mysterious movies. No wonder that it has been the site of many old Western Movies. At least a dozen Western classic movies have been filmed here at least partially. Scenes from newer movies like Tremors and Gladiator have also been filmed here.
2. Take in the Views of Mount Whitney and the Eastern Sierras
Mount Whitney is a majestic site to behold from Alabama Hills
See my photos from Alabama Hills
Mount Whitney is the tallest mountain in the continental USA and it dominates the Alabama Hills area. You can’t get away from it and you probably don’t want to get away from looking at it, especially in contrast to the strange rock formations at Alabama Hills. See photos from my backpacking trip to the top of Mount Whitney.
Is Alabama Hills Worth Visiting?
I have found the Alabama Hills area in California to be fascinating and mysterious. The mountains with the famous Mount Whitney peak looms in the background. The entire area has an eerie feeling of being on a different planet. Mix in the many old Western movies filmed here and you get and amazing tourist attraction. So, if you are in the area, make sure to stop by Alabama Hills.
Plan Your Trip to Alabama Hills
- Search my list of hotels in Lone Pine, California
- If you are into movies you’ve got to check out this self-guided tour to the various movie sites at Alabama Hills. To get a PDF brochure highlighting the movie sets at Alabama Hills, click here.
- Driving directions to the Alabama Hills Arch trail head. This trail is a short walk with some great views of the area. Take Hwy 395 to Lone Pine. This is the road to Mount Whitney. Once you reach Lone Pine turn west (at the stop light) onto Whitney Portal Road, drive 2.5 miles to Movie Road, turn right. After 1.5 miles you will come to a “Y” in the road. Go right and pull into the dirt parking area immediately on your left. You will see the trail sign on the left side of this parking area; this is where you begin your arch walk.
Take My SMART Travel Course and learn how to plan your travel confidently through step by step videos. Save money and frustration and become a SMART traveler using my time-tested travel strategy.
Read My SMART Travel Book and learn my best travel tips from 20+ years of international travel experience in less than 40 pages. These will save you lots of money and frustration on your next trip.